Monday, January 16, 2012

Helping others makes me forget about my issues

Yesterday was a great day. I spent the morning with my sister and my beautiful nephew Caelan. We ended up going to this community center to attend the open gym session for kids. It was so much fun. It confirmed for me how much I want to have children. I just feel truly happy when I am surrounded by them. I then came home and decided to take some time out and an actually sit for a minute. Anyone who knows me knows I have a tough time staying still for to long. I started watching Patch Adams. What a great movie! I laughed, I cried and I could relate to his principles. There was this quote in the movie that went a little something like this..."when I am helping others I forget about my own issues for a bit". I think for me  that is why I write these blogs. When I write it is from the heart. It may not be the best writing but at least I know deep down somewhere someone may read it and feel better or relate. Patch Adams lowered medication intake, depression and overall health in the hospital just by bringing happiness, joy and a positive outlook. I recently wrote a blog about this. I strongly believe it is true. Depression is such a big part of having a chronic illness. I don't think alot of people understand it. They see me and I seem to look fine but on the inside I have all these unanswered questions. Alot has changed in my life. I have noticed the people who have stuck by my side made me feel super positive and also give me the support I need not to fall into the trap of depression. I try everyday to remind myself of all the great things I have. Yesterday watching my nephew run around and laugh made my day. I still have alot of unanswered questions and I probably will always have them as long as I have this disease. The thing is this disease although has been difficult at times it has also been a positive way for me to learn my true strengths and to not take everything so seriously. I see the humor in things and I totally enjoy being able to share through my blog. If it was not for this disease I would not be able to help others with my bad grammar....LOL The  thing is like Patch Adams said, "When I am helping others I forget about my own issues for a bit".

I received an email today. It was actually in my hotmail box......it was someone who stumbled across my blog. I felt so grateful that this individual took the time to send me an email thanking me. I was never sure what would come of my posts except maybe me learning to accept my disease one day at a time, I never expected comments and letters. It feels so great to know I have a good support and as long as we are helping each other through the highs ands lows we will always bet better.

No comments:

Post a Comment